The first recorded settlement in these parts as a waypoint on the Salona-Narona road, which was mentioned in the tablet of Peutigeriana in the first half of the 4th century.
In the documents of the Salona Council dated from May 4th, 533 AD, Mucurum is mentioned as the town where a bishopric was established. In the Ravenat itinerary from the 7th century, the town is mentioned as Aronia id est Mucru. During the middle ages, the county Mokro was part of the Neretva dukedom and was renowned for its naval might. Venetian doge Petar Kandijan suffered a significant defeat in the large naval battle in front of Mokro on September 18th, 887 AD. In the centuries that followed, the rule over these parts was exchanged between the various Bribir dukes, Bosnian rulers, Croatian kings and Venice. Under its present name Makarska is mentioned for the first time in 1502. During the Turkish occupation, Makarska became part of their province Primorje and was fortified with three keeps. Makarska became a part of Venetian republic in 1684. Under the hundred-year rule of the Venetian lion, the foundations of the future city were built. In the following hundred or so years, during the French and Austrian rule, the city experiences increased cultural and economic development.
From the prehistoric Illyrian artifacts, Roman villas, medieval naval might of Mokro in the Neretva Dukedom, to the Turkish walls and the Venetian Baroque town; through popular Austrian resort town to the present day, Makarska and its story are an integral part of it natural environment. The historical story of the city can be experienced through the famous Franciscan monastery, the cathedral church of St. Marko, the churches of St. Filip and Jakov, the shrine of Vepric, Kačić square, various museums and galleries, stone paved streets, squares, beaches, groves and mountain peaks.